Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Acceptance

Many exciting wonderful things have happened in NYC since my last post. Right now is spring break. I'm not going anywhere. The goal for the week is to become organized in life and our apartment. This will be difficult. Wish me luck! Also I want to paint. The decision of color is proving more difficult than the decision to move to the city.

Over the last six months, slowly a feeling of acceptance has come over me. Acceptance that we are to be in NYC. Acceptance that nursing is the right career. Acceptance we will be here for a while. Acceptance that babies are a long time off (I'll explain later). And acceptance that God may have more plans for us than we had planned (which is always the case, right?). I believe painting is a representation of my acceptance. Since we just signed another year lease, I figured we might as well do something semi-permanent to make it our own. Let me explain how the "acceptances" have developed.

The acceptance that we are to be in NYC. Recently Shiloh has started a series of life skills for our kids. Last Saturday was the second one, it went really well. Afterwards, some of the kids and us went to the park. We were on the swings, playing frisbee, and people watching. Being a part of the kids lives weekly is why we are here.

Acceptance that nursing is the right career. I finished my last clinical rotation last week. It was labor and delivery. I absolutely loved being with mothers as they prepared for their baby. That time is someone's life is the most important and I got to experience it with them. I could reassure them that their baby was fine, or comfort them when the baby was not fine. It was a great learning experience.

Part of knowing that nursing is the right career has brought about the acceptance that we will be here a while. I have decided to do the masters portion part time while working. This way I will I have worked as a RN for 3 years before I am a nurse practitioner.

The last rotation made me realize how much I want babies. The nursery was not good for me! But along with the fact that I will not graduate until February 2011. Then I'll want to work for a couple years (to pay off those loans). Babies are a long way off. Lucky Marcus.

Acceptance that God may have more for us than we planned. The church we have been attending has opened our eyes to all there is to do in New York. Please pray that we will keep our eyes and ears open to what He wants us to see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you!!! I can't wait to come visit your New York this summer! (I'm posting b/c the Great Wall must be temporarily down...so ya know, might as well make use of it!)