Sunday, November 25, 2007

Please excuse the delay...

Life has been crazy to say the least. I have four weeks left of my second semester at Columbia. Marcus has been working for Harlem Children's Zone for a month or so now. Both families have come to visit (and we had so much fun!). I went home for Thanksgiving (without Marcus because he had to work). Life in New York is starting to resemble something like a pattern, which for those who don't know me, I crave. A part of my life has never followed a pattern, my family. The past couple weeks have reminded me of this fact.
My family consists of my mom, brother (22), and sister (20). Without going into too much detail, my siblings and I had a difficult family environment because of our father. All three of us have handled it differently. I dove straight into counseling, God, and friends which all helped me overcome. My sister rebelled as a teenager, but now is an amazing mother to a three year old boy, works full time, and goes to school full time. My brother has been in a constant state of anger and guilt for the past six years. Neither one of them have a faith in God to which I attribute my peace, hope, and happiness.
When I think of them, it's easy to blame myself for not being there for them and their healing process. When I'm around them, I can see the chains of the past holding them back from realizing their full potential and joy. I'm also at a loss of how to help. Please be praying for my family and I as we, along with God's help, try to heal the wounds of the past.

No comments: